from the commuter

The photos which I took myself are random images of commuting and life. Enjoy the ride!

Monday, August 16, 2010

Upong Piso


"Tatlo pa, tatlo pa!" the jeepney barker called out.

A lady opined, "Tatlo pa? Eh, wala na ngang mauupuan dito." I had the exact observation.

From the looks of it, someone is to have a 'upong piso' or else the jeep won't go. This brings me to ask, "If bathala had known that Pinoys would be riding jeepneys, why didn't he give us the same butt sizes?" It causes an uncomplaining commuter some discomfort when only a small chunk of his or her butt is accomodated. This has happened to me a lot of times. To appease me, I just think of the passenger who will get off soon; I say a short prayer of thanks for the ease that that passenger will give me. But my darker side would like to pin my misfortune on other passengers whose asses should be made to pay for two to three people! I do not dislike the healthier members of our society; in fact, I find most of them to be very adorable. My mom is one! hehe. But, but, but I just want to exercise my right of equality! Equal seating space! I pay the same amount as everyone else, but why do they get more than I do? Hmm....

But I forget that healthier people have the same reasons as me for being there. I seem to have detached myself from their feelings. I was once overweight. These probably have been our thoughts:
Should I pay for two?
I know they are looking at me. I shouldn't mind them.
I'll put on my headphones.
I shall look away. Ignore.
Accept my slow death through embarrassment.
Continue eating the food I have.
So what if I'm fat?
Quietly apologize for being me.
I'll succumb to self-pity.
Consider losing weight.
Accept I'm fat.

And many other kinds of thought cloud a fat person's travel.

I'll leave this at this note.

1 comment:

  1. I sometimes wish I could pay for half the fare if only one of my butt cheeks is ACTUALLY sitting...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to write whatever...