from the commuter

The photos which I took myself are random images of commuting and life. Enjoy the ride!

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Bravery

The day before this blog was written, I talked about taking pictures for the blog and my lack of courage for 'jeepney pictures.' The next day,  I attempted on taking pictures inside the jeep. I realized that apart from the danger of putting cameraphones out while on transit, there are also privacy issues that I had to consider. The difference between taking pictures on the bus and in the jeep is that jeepney passengers will be aware of what one is doing , while when a  discreet photographer is on a bus, there is less chance of people noticing; everybody on the bus faces the road and not in front of one another as the case of  the jeep. Jeepney passengers may find it obtrusive that someone is taking their pictures inside the jeep. I , too, would really mind if someone had taken my picture inside a jeep!  But, I thought of being 'brave'  in my part. 'Bravery' or courage is supposed to be second nature to jeepney riders. Imagine the day-to-day jostling, threats from criminal elements, exposure to pollution and life's uncertainties with the daredevil driver. These are everyday realties faced by a commuter that place the Filipino commuter among the ranks of valiant street warriors! hehe. And so I face my own spinelessness. My proof:
 
There. These five pictures were taken from the three of the four jeepney rides I take to go to work. There is a sense of fulfillment in my photography. It was hard, but it was definitely worth all the risks. These images are priceless. These people brave the streets of Manila every day. But it gives me a greater sense of fulfillment that I experience the same struggles these commuters experience every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to write whatever...