from the commuter

The photos which I took myself are random images of commuting and life. Enjoy the ride!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Martian View

In literature class, we were introduced to this poem by Craig Raine. The persona in the poem is a martian who sends a postcard home, thus the title "A Martian Sends a Postcard Home." hehe. The persona describes everything as observed by this martian. A part of the postcard reads:

A Martian Sends a Postcard Home
Craig Raine, 1979


Caxtons are mechanical birds with many wings 
and some are treasured for their markings-- 

they cause the eyes to melt 
or the body to shriek without pain.

I have never seen one fly, but 
sometimes they perch on the hand. 

For some it reads like a riddle; for some it's genius; for others it's poetry. But for the martian, it is its way of describing books.

It's interesting how the martian viewed things from its perspective. Here is another, its thoughts on what it thinks to be 'cars':

Model T is a room with the lock inside --
a key is turned to free the world

for movement, so quick there is a film
to watch for anything missed.

How differently a martian sees things. We no longer look at things the 'martian' way. We peer through the car window and see the objects around us as the objects that they are, but it would be great to let that small car window open our eyes to the world that's beyond ours. Wouldn't it be nice if we see the world unfold before our very eyes?  We drive or ride cars with increasing apathy. For as long as we are comfortable, we ignore. 

There is no resolution to this post. I myself wouldn't know what to do once I get a view, whether good or bad, of the world around me. My apathy tells me that I should stick to seeing things like a human. 

1 comment:

  1. The first time Ma'am Monte read that poem...I was totally lost! haha...but when she started to explain it...Well I went from Huh?? to Wow!!! You reminded me how refreshing it is to be a martian...Tomorrow when I commute I sure will be on martian-mode!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to write whatever...