from the commuter

The photos which I took myself are random images of commuting and life. Enjoy the ride!

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Temporary job, permanently grateful


Opportunity came knocking at a time when I needed it. The Lord has His ways of making me feel that He listens still.

Let me give you a background. Money has been scarce lately, I have to admit. For someone who has been accustomed to receiving salary bi-monthly, I developed the habit of 'not saving.' Now, since I am technically in between jobs, that habit has been giving me nightmares! It's difficult being poor. I tell myself I'll never let myself be one again! Although I still get to eat complete meals every day, I am not at ease at the idea that I don't have money in my bank account. I have been irresponsible on that aspect. So, just imagine the kind of frugality I am practicing now; it's not fun, I tell you.

Three more weeks before I officially start my work with the government, my resources are dwindling. Luckily, I got a call, an answered prayer. The call meant that the much needed 'moolah' was coming. Although my contract prohibits me from disclosing what I am doing, this is what I can tell you - it has made me feel like one of those Makati office people although I report in Boni in Mandaluyong . I put on a nice shirt and parade the streets where tall buildings stand proud. It is still strange for me, for I have never done corporate before. It is so different from the school set up I have known for years.

Inside the train
Back when I was a teacher, everything had become familiar. Now, everything seems very strange. I take the bus along thousands of office workers of the metro. It was overwhelming. Squeezing into crowded buses  had to be re-learned. At night, as I go home, I am at awe at the multitude of red lights snaking their way into their owners' destinations.

Many posts ago, I wrote about long-sleeved-wearing people taking the bus or jeep to work. This experience has made me reflect on my previous beliefs. The everyday people I ride with are just doing what is expected of them. Everybody needs a job. I'd certainly put on a wig and wings if my job called for it. The whining had to be set aside; gratitude is now taking the limelight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to write whatever...