from the commuter

The photos which I took myself are random images of commuting and life. Enjoy the ride!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Non-commuter Post: On Reproductive Health Bill




In one of those government exams I took many years ago, I was asked to give my opinion on the state of our population. I remember writing, “The Church should provide a lifetime of support for every child baptized into Catholicism.” I thought I came out with an ingenious idea to suggest to the government. If this suggestion was ever made into law, the Church would probably  be backing up any measure to curtail population growth. 
But none of those ideas will ever happen.
The Church shall not see the day when condoms and contraceptives  are readily available for anyone who is planning his or her family. The Church shall not clothe, feed nor educate anyone for free. The Church, however, shall continue to meddle in the affairs of the state even when the state and the church have always been separate.
The church’s influence is undoubtedly immense. The late Cardinal Sin through his call helped mobilize millions of Filipinos to march against a dictator. The church has been behind some of the country’s important issues and decisions. This particular issue on the passing of Reproductive Health bill seems to be won by the church singlehandedly because it deals with the issue using a tactic it knows best – disturbing one’s conscience.
Why would  a person like me be in interested in all of these? Because when one is so exposed to the harsh realities of life, one tends to ask, “What can be done?” The Church has been doing nothing but pointing out why the bill is wrong, and it is doing a wonderful job every Sunday at mass. This post, then, is a futile effort; no amount of ranting can alter things.
When this bill won’t make it to law, I pray that the government starts growing its bone. If that happens,  I’ll like to be part of the growth.

Parenting. A young couple feeds their baby with Mountain Dew inside a Tricycle parked along Baclaran.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to write whatever...