from the commuter

The photos which I took myself are random images of commuting and life. Enjoy the ride!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Go Green!


The sight of passengers carrying paper bags instead of plastic bags inside the jeep in a Muntinlupa jeepney terminal reminded me of the wonderful city ordinance that the city was implementing effective 2011. I would not have noticed the change had it not been for the three passengers sitting close to each other who held their goods inside big paper bags. Brown paperbags were not a common sight in Muntinlupa months back. Now, it's everywhere, and it's surely a welcoming change. This bold move in the part of the local government is truly laudable. "No to plastic! No to styro!" has been their battlecry. I wish other local governments can follow suit; it's best if the entire country does the same. I wonder, though, how it is for meat and fish. I have not gone to the market to check it out myself. Consumers probably bring their own bags or bayong, which is a lot better than the paper bags.

My favorite fastfood chain is  one with the city. Jollibee stores, at least the ones in Muntinlupa, now use plastic containers instead of the styro packaging for their takeout orders. Jollibee is also seen smiling in its logo displayed in all their paper bags used for takeout. This will certainly make mother earth jolly, too. The common folks who patronize these establishments, on the other hand,  will probably begin to wonder and ask questions. The answers they will get, I hope,  will undoubtly make them  think about the situation. I have a feeling the paper bags will cause wide awareness, and awareness will open a myriad of reflection and actions.

Soon, I hope, every city or district will be implementing something similar. To be honest, it brings me joy seeing the paper bags. There is a comforting feeling seeing that something is being done for the environment. I want this feeling. I hope it becomes yours, too. :-)
Mcdonald's does the same.

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE this new development too. totally caught me unaware when i went to S&R though and i didn't have a bag with me. but i liked how they also can't sell plastic bags even if the customer demanded for one (which is the case on bring your own bags at SM on wednesdays). i just wish they'd make the recyclable bags cheaper. some people can't really afford it.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to write whatever...