from the commuter

The photos which I took myself are random images of commuting and life. Enjoy the ride!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Passenger Series 1: Ang Madre


The nun's dress has always been a source of interest to me. I don't personally know of any nun to ask questions about their get-up which they wear every day of their religious life. Although I hear their number is dwindling, they are still pretty much around. Based on some observations and stories about nuns, I have learned that there is little hair that their  headgear covers. They cut their hair really short, I hear. I inquired about their vow of poverty, too (which is something I don't want to have but is imposed on me). Would they use deodorant and shampoo? "Yes, we do, " a sister in a streetchildren center answered. Later on I gathered that they would be  given rations; a shampoo sachet or a laundry bar soap should last them a week or so. To add to whatever knowledge I have of nuns and their attire, this particular picture  above taken in one of my recent commutes just gave me a glimpse of the nuns' way of shielding themselves from pollution. I would have never thought that their veil can be used like that. Upon seeing this picture, a friend mentioned that using the veil in that manner may be deemed inappropriate to some congregations. Again, I would not know about that. I know, though, that seeing the nun riding with me in that jeep was a reassurance of a safe trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to write whatever...