from the commuter

The photos which I took myself are random images of commuting and life. Enjoy the ride!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Holidays and plane rides

Common early morning airport scene
 I have lost count as to the number of times I boarded a domestic flight. In my younger and poorer years, taking the plane was an event reserved for the privileged few. Cebu Pacific came and every Juan started flying. My recollection of my early flight experiences was filled with eagerness. A plane ride for me now is still met with excitement, but it has also evolved into one introspective journey. You see, I fly home to Zamboanga, my hometown , usually alone. I can’t seem to get tired watching my city’s landscape from that small airplane window as we land. How I love it when the flight attendant announces “Kakalapag lang natin sa paliparang pandaigdig ng Zamboanga. Manatiling nakaupo hanggang ang babalang sinturong pangkaligtasan ay naiangat na” or something like that. Then, I’d hear a Nokia message alert tone immediately after. Welcome to Zamboanga! The moment the plane touches ground, I can't wait to get my bag from the airport's single baggage carousel.

I go home during long breaks, special occasions and holidays. Every homecoming is wonderful. Every member of my family is there. Of the brood of five, I seem to be the only one determined to live away from my folks. The result is enthusiasm every time I take a plane ride home. However, the same cannot be said as I board the plane back to Manila. Every visit back home means play while Manila always means work.

Every December is faced with anticipation since I book my holiday tickets months in advance making sure of a seat and a cheaper fare. I see Zamboanga as my home still despite having lived in Manila for more than ten years. I have been living in my own unit for close to three years now, yet I cannot claim it as home. Although I complain about my lack of privacy when my relatives are around, it's only when they are with me that I get to feel a semblance of home in my small abode. I'll have to start making my 30-square meter palace my home, with or without family. I am not supposed to subject myself to melancholia and nostalgia every time I am away from my family.

My mom was suggesting that they spend next Christmas with me in Manila. I think that's a good idea.

Pre-departure scene

My nieces

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to write whatever...