from the commuter

The photos which I took myself are random images of commuting and life. Enjoy the ride!

Monday, September 13, 2010

The Workout called Commuting

Since I take four rides to work, I have to make sure that my going to work serves other purposes as well. I usually take a trip to the gym.  I do my cardio, work on some equipment. Yes, the effort is there to lose some weight. I intend to keep my butt size to average since I take jeepneys a lot (Read Upong Piso). In the process of going to the gym , I think I become more agile, flexible and faster.These are what Super-Commuters should possess in times of rushhours. Most of the time, I manage to get a seat and sometimes not. There is a rush in me when jostling happens; I forget some jeepney or bus manners when I'm pressed for time. I MUST TAKE THE BUS NOW! It's like the game, Trip to Jerusalem, where players look for seats, and the unfortunate and sluggish player leaves the game. Fun! Fun! Fun! No, not all the time. In the real life Bus Trip to Destination game, you either (a) leave or take another bus, (b) stand throughout the trip, or (c) squeeze yourself into whatever space left. These are realities experienced by most Manila Commuters. Now, we're just warming up.

For our cardio, athletics comes in. Imagine running after a bus or jeep along a NO LOADING Zone. Track and Field you call it. If we miss our ride, a training in walkathon would come in handy. The required twenty minutes a day to keep a healthy heart is observed by most commuters. We probably would not die of heartattack, but we certainly are candidates for lung problems.

As for the workout, we do a lot of free weights coupled  with cardio. Backpacks, document folders, plastic and papers bags constitute the weights; we carry these as we go about our business around town. We don't have to enroll in a gym to experience sauna or steam as heat-producing places abound for commuters. Nothing beats  natural heat.

Our cool down is that short tricycle ride to our house or that short walk that leads us closer to the welcoming embrace of our family. It is only then we give out our biggest sigh of relief on our commuter workout, and start anew on another workout waiting for us at home. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to write whatever...