from the commuter

The photos which I took myself are random images of commuting and life. Enjoy the ride!

Monday, September 6, 2010

Pollution

Proceed with caution. Dirty graphic content in this post.

Back home in Mindanao when we were younger, we would illustrate the seriousness of the pollution problem in Manila by saying this, "You would know you're in Manila when you pick your nose and then you'd see that your fingertip is all black," and then we would check our respective noses to examine the quality of air in Zamboanga. Zamboanga's air quality is still at an acceptable level, my fingertip would say.

Living in Manila, I had to live with pollution every day. There is little protection against pollution when you're out in an open vehicle that is plying the treeless avenues of Manila. I dread taking EDSA, one of Metro Manila's main thoroughfares. I don't need a 'pick-my-nose' meter to gauge the gravity of the air pollution problem of Manila; sometimes, my oily face does that. (You may stop reading if you find this post repulsive; there is more to say) To add further harm, I usually catch colds after. If you would tell me to avoid EDSA, I would answer "I can't. I couldn't!" All the great malls are along it. hehe. Here in the south of Manila, I can say that it is not as bad, but I wouldn't know until when. Typhoons and other not-so-friendly weather disturbances keep on uprooting the remaining trees in the area, and EDSA is extending all the way to the south with the skyway extensions being built around.

So what do I do?

Call me stubborn, but I wouldn't be caught wearing a (surgical) mask or anything similar outside even if my life were to depend on it. Take a closed vehicle? Oh, sure I would any time of the day, but my bank account would not permit me. Much to my dismay, I could not think of a solution to this pollution problem facing my tribe. My health is important to me. For now, I'd like to think those tablets called vitamin C are doing their job.

As for my "pick-my-nose" meter, I have long established its reliability after staying here in Manila for many years. In fact, I have retired this process and put my fingers to other worthy causes. Now, my laundrywoman gets the same air quality readings as I do. The black dots on my white handkerchief give away everything. She tells me "Kadiri na ano?" She says it all.

Manila's pollution problems shouldn't just be the concern of a particular group of people. It's everybody's. Even the likes of my laundrywoman are also affected; they attribute their longer washing hours to their trying to take out the dirt on countless collars and sleeves and handkerchiefs!


There really shouldn't be any disgusting posts like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to write whatever...