from the commuter

The photos which I took myself are random images of commuting and life. Enjoy the ride!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Commuting and Poverty

I was walking behind two Grade 7 girls when I heard one say in her posh village English, "I will never ever ride a jeep." She said this while motioning a 'never' using her index finger. She smelled rich; her skin confirmed so (I allude to Gretchen Baretto's kutis mayaman). I only caught that part of their conversation. I was puzzled. I wanted to know why. I thought of reasons for her saying that. I surmised she was 13. When I was her age, I already had years of experience in commuting, particularly taking the jeep. One thought I had was, "Does riding a jeep make one poor?"  I was saddened by my own thought.

I have to admit that when I would go to the less affluent areas of Alabang or Paranaque, I would see a different view. Usually, on buses or in jeeps, the picture I saw around me made me see my fortune in the misfortune of others. For that I was forever grateful. Later on, I realized it was wrong to be thinking that way. It was wrong of me to find misery  in others only so I could feel better about myself. How could I be thinking of that when we were practically on the same boat, or on the same bus for that matter! When I commute to the more affluent areas of Alabang, I would wonder if the rich people's wealth is amplified because of the jeepney-riding citizens passing by their luxury cars and homes.

When people are born to poverty, it does not necessarily mean that they should live their entire life poor.  Every nameless person I see on the bus or outside would want some slice of luxury, or is it just me? I'll take refuge on the idea that other people don't think the way I do. Good for them!

I shall end this with a prayer.

Lord, source of all wealth and power,
let me live the life I deserve,
a life without envy or contempt,
a life of gratitude and praise.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to write whatever...