from the commuter

The photos which I took myself are random images of commuting and life. Enjoy the ride!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Goodbye!

A view from the Jollibee store in ATC

The school year is ending, and so is my employment with the school I have served for seven long years.

Around this time last year, I was also bowing out  of the school that I had been teaching for six years. With my resignation letter in place and clearances accomplished, I was waiting for the official last day of my employment. What to happen after my last day was still very uncertain, though. There was no definite work nor schools willing to take me in. The numerous jobs I applied for weren't calling me back. It was truly a difficult time.

I was having mixed feelings on my official last day of work. A part of me was rejoicing, yet another part of me was dreading many things; one of them was the possibility of me being unemployed, which was something I had not experienced before. Immediately after graduation I was the toast of my family and classmates for securing a job in one of South Manila's best schools. I was earning good money and became financially independent. I feared that my fortune might change. I did not want that to happen.

I had my phone with me, waiting for that ring from an employer. No ring took place. Acceptance, something I had very well managed to do, was a painful comfort. I took that big risk of resigning from work without an assurance of a replacement work; therefore, I must bear the consequences that went with it.

I have never regretted anything I did.

Midday of my last day, I did not regret saying "yes" when I was offered  to teach in the night school after my boss learned I was still waiting for a job offer. It was a perfect set-up, I thought. I would report to work at one pm since I had planned to work on my master's paper in the day. In addition, I bargained for one thing.  I told them that I could resign within the school year I wanted provided that I give them one month's notice. My last day became my first day of employment.

An hour after that offer, my phone rang. It was the school along Ayala Avenue in Makati asking me if I was willing to teach Communication Arts.

It has been a year since those life-changing decisions had to be made. I am making one as I write this. Every day I make decisions. The decisions I make chart my future.

My leaving the school, this time for sure, is a decision I have made. I do not fear my future now although I will be technically jobless for a month. I am unceasing in my prayers now. I know good things will happen out of this. I shall not be afraid, I tell myself.
...will be changing routes soon

6 comments:

  1. You have something in your heart that you really want to explore.And now you have taken the challenge to get out from your comfort zone, be not afraid for dreamers are risk takers. Those risks will complete your destiny, to where your heart is and to where God plans you to be.

    I'll be praying for you friend.=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that you'll be just fine...knowing how resilient you are. - Toni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Toni. Those words are comforting. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an incoming senior, and although you were my teacher about 2 years ago, I still find you one of the best teachers I've ever had! Good luck, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you, anonynous student of mine. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodluck on your new path, ralfy! =)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to write whatever...