from the commuter

The photos which I took myself are random images of commuting and life. Enjoy the ride!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I'm serious about commuting, however






Okay, so I am not a serious blogger; my lack of post says it. If it’s any consolation to my three readers, I am so disappointed with myself. 

The past month has been a tough one for me; work, which I don’t wish to discuss here, got in the way of things. It’s been really hard that I have yet to allot time to talk to myself, a hobby of mine which gets people to doubt my sanity. But as a personal rule, I shall limit my discussion to just that, my talk about work, I mean. 

The Philippines has just witnessed a defeat, Pacquiao’s. Weeks before this was Jessica Sanchez’ close quest for the American Idol tilt. Despite these, the Philippine flag will wave proudly, even beyond the 114th  Independence Day Celebration. 

As I observed the lined flag poles bearing the flag around the city and at work, I went on asking myself “Will there ever come a time that the flag’s colors be inverted?” The question terrified me. Although it’s in the flag’s design to symbolize war, I dreaded the thought of seeing it that way. Not in my lifetime I hope. 

I place my faith in the Supreme Being. Let no harm come our way.

Now, some commuter notes.

I am pleased to announce that there is a growing number of people who say “Waiting Shed” now. I used to hear a lot of “Waiting Shade.”  Come to think of it, the latter makes some sense, too, but I welcome “Waiting Shed” more. 

I have experienced walking quite a great deal of length when all modes of land transportation wouldn’t take me home even if I had money to pay. It rained one Thursday afternoon and left some major roads, particularly those leading to my abode, impassable. Boy, I had to walk, but it was okay since there were many of us treading the same wet path home. It was during that time that I wanted my own car. Every cab I hailed said no to me at every mention of “Sucat.” It became like a cuss word that deserved an equally bad treatment from all cab drivers. During my walk, I realized a few things:
  1. It’s not fun walking a great distance in leather shoes
  2. Excess baggage is never good
  3. Sucat is far from Pasay
My companions during that jeep-less Thursday evening
Other than those, my walk made me observe life in general. I saw couples, particularly the younger ones, who were quite enjoying the walk. It bought them more time to be together. It was quite noticeable how young men tended to be more gentlemanly towards their girls, offering the girls caddy service. I saw fashionistas donning  the “Dry Season” look ,who were left without a choice but to go for the wet look. I was entertained by young office ladies unashamed to be seen in dump trucks and beer delivery vans. I cringed at the cab drivers who refused passengers.  Most of all, it was a humbling experience. Since I started earning money, never had I experienced anything like it. That incident served as a reminder; I should never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to write whatever...