from the commuter

The photos which I took myself are random images of commuting and life. Enjoy the ride!

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Jeepney Argument

One topic led to another, and eventually to the issue of traffic congestion in Manila. 

“They should just ban all jeepneys, and stop being sentimental about them.”

My face cringed. Someone saw my expression and asked me what I thought of the statement.

“I am a commuter,” I said vehemently. 


Jeepney rider
Another jeepney rider
“I am a semi-commuter also, but jeeps just cause much of the traffic. And of course there is the issue on environment,” a car owner who occasionally commutes said.

I could not take a word more, and tried to compose an argument in my head.

The traffic problem in Manila is not only attributed to the existence of jeepneys. 

Before I could even say anything as if I was ready for some debate, the talk on jeepneys ended, and a new topic emerged.

That brief sharing of opinions gave me a glimpse of how the people around me think on that subject.
Perhaps, if you’re on the driver seat, you see things differently as compared to the things seen from the passenger seat. Perhaps, a driver who has forgotten how to commute and has no recollection of commuting or being poor would not understand why I reacted strongly. 

I will not forever defend the jeeps, but I know very well why I and countless other Filipinos take them. The jeeps are not perfect, this we already know, but unless we have other options, we will keep on enjoying our jeepney rides.

It was a topic so close to my heart that I talked it out to another person later that day. 

“The (jeepney) body has to be modified. It should fit more people. Environmental laws should be applied to all jeepneys. It’s a pity we have “Clean Air Act” but public transports violate this law. But to totally take them off the streets would be a loss to our heritage,” he said as I sat on the passenger seat of his car. 

I thought he made sense, and he did not sound arrogant.

For as long as (1) I don’t have a car, (2) there’s no efficient mass transport system servicing the entire metropolis, (3) my desire to continuously have an affinity with the common people is not taken away, (4) I am poor, and (5) I want to, I shall take the jeep. And if you happen to ride with me, say ‘hi,’ will you?
FX Rider

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to write whatever...