from the commuter

The photos which I took myself are random images of commuting and life. Enjoy the ride!

Sunday, April 24, 2011

"Apir"

I think I owe my provincial upbringing how I view almost all new experiences I gain in Manila, and I am grateful for this upbringing. I always tell myself to see everything through the eyes of a provincial lad and a gawking tourist. This way, I experience everything with novelty. This outlook has not changed since I embarked on my college-searching in the summer of 2000 in Manila.

Summer of 2011, Holy Week to be exact, was quite a beautiful cultural experience for me. Only later did I realize it was as spiritual as it cultural.

It started when a friend asked me to buy him palm leaves for Palm Sunday. The idea of waving the leaf by the church's entrance door did not appeal to me. I don't recall ever doing it in the past; perhaps mother did all the waving but never did I. It was simply not the 'wave-my-palm-leaf-kind-of-guy.' But what was I to do with this leaf on my hand?


As the people converged at the door, I was drawn to the strong display of faith of the people. I tiny spray of the holy water was needed. I knew the religious significance of the act, but the desire to share the same experience with the church-goers was what made me wave my leaf.


I felt the water on me. It was a good feeling. I might not completely understand everything that happened, but it surely was an interesting experience. 

I am still awed by the show of faith of these people. I am hoping that I will get to show the same.

1 comment:

  1. interesting how you managed to squeeze in a photo shoot, ralfy

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to write whatever...