from the commuter

The photos which I took myself are random images of commuting and life. Enjoy the ride!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Required reading


I studied Literature in college, and reading books, lengthy ones at that, was simply unavoidable. They were called required readings, and I had to drag my eyeballs left and right for the novels I didn't quite like. Eventually, I saw wisdom in the novels my teachers gave me. I suppose the authors of those books are extra happy that their works have somehow touched the life of at least one reader.

The contents here are far from literary; however, this blog, no matter how trivial and shallow it may appear to others, is something I can call an extension of myself. Thus, it is  made out of love. I wanted to share my thoughts with people, particularly my friends. I did heavy promotion through Facebook and text messaging because, finally, I wanted my friends to hear me out also after my long-time role of being the ear. I still am, by the way; I take pride in my ability to listen and shut up. When they started reading or peeking, I became very happy. They made commuter smile because of the increasing pageviews seen on his 'stats.' Their gesture was an indicator of their support for me. You have no idea what it meant to me.

I don't expect them to read the blog regularly. Actually, I don't think they will ever visit again. I happen to befriend mostly non(blog)-readers. But it's ok. I will write for the nine people who follow me. Hehehe. But there is always the 'hey-read-n'yo-naman-blog-ko' attitude once in a while. That once in a while moment happens to be weekly when I am chatting with my closest friend. So, on the third month when his answer was still no, I  simply got pissed. I am usually very understanding , but his response to a simple plea was incomprehensible. I couldn't understand why a simple request of clicking my link would be very difficult to do for someone who spends hours and hours online narrating to me how sad his life is. That day, my 'closest' friend Noy since college was 'removed' as friend from my Facebook account. Of course, I did not tell him that I had intended to add him immediately after the removal.

Afterward, he messaged me on Facebook (since we could no longer chat) and said "Nakaka-depress ito. Sige, babasahin ko na." And true to a true friend's word, he read my blog, and he even commented. Hehe. Three minutes after, Noy is now friends with 'commuter.' Like.

I realized that it was not about him not reading my blog, it was more of the lack of support to a friend. The friend has always been there listening; maybe, this time, you can also do the same.

4 comments:

  1. Title fits perfectly well...coz like most required readings, you dread to even glance or attempt to read it for some reason (maybe because you DON'T like the author, you're not into the genre, or simply you have other things to worry about...) but most of them actually eventually appear to be "pleasant surprises..."

    :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well, I don't call this required reading, Ralfy. I always am a fan of your wit, penned.

    So, have you read my latest?
    hahahha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Thanks, Joni, my other close friend! I read you, of course! I follow you! hehe!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to write whatever...