from the commuter

The photos which I took myself are random images of commuting and life. Enjoy the ride!

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Kindness on the streets

The streets are never safe, yet we spend every day of our lives using them and praying that the streets will lead us safely to where we are supposed to go. A glimpse of a police officer in a corner or on the sidewalk is an indicator that the police's presence is still needed to secure our safety; they are there to combat any bad element. I know for sure that the cops will be around and will be permanent fixtures on our streets  for a long long time.

In this age, it's difficult to identify the bad from the good. We would never know when a lady in a sexy dress would prey on old men, or when an angel-faced boy would rob you of your belongings. There really is no way of saying who strikes whom. The authorities would always have a readied answer for this: VIGILANCE. However, no matter how experienced we are in our Philippine street life, we can't seem to be vigilant enough.

With that in mind, I really think hard as to whom in the streets we can actually trust. I would like to think the police, but many may think otherwise. I have had varied experiences with the police, but these experiences will be discussed in future posts! So, I turn on to everyday folks on the streets.

As for trust issues in the streets involving non-uniformed personnel, I have a certain gauge to identify who these good and trustworthy people are. I would like to think that if you are asked for directions by a lost person, you are a good soul. What made me say this? It's hard to admit you're lost in the first place and it's equally difficult to look for a person to help you, right? When you are being asked for directions, you probably fit some notable characteristics:

1. You are non-judgmental, non-threatening.
2. You appear knowledgeable, at least of the area.
3. You are approachable.
4. You seem helpful.

These may be petty things for others, but they speak volume of one's character. I know so because these are the very things I look for in a geography resource person when I am lost. I constantly caution myself, though, that people's appearances and my own perceptions can still deceive me. But when I am being asked for directions, there is sense of pride in me. In return, I try my best to be of help. I just hope that the person asking is only seeking information and not anything else.

I remember back in college in Manila, an old lady stood near the Manila City Hall underpass. In her soft voice she said, "Puedeng magtanong?" A couple in front of me paused and replied, "Ano po 'yon?"

"Puede bang humingi ng pera pang pamasahe ko sa Laguna?" the old woman said.

"Ay, wala po kameng pera. Pasensya na po," the couple was apologetic.

"TANONG KAYO NG TANONG, WALA PALA KAYONG ITUTULONG!" retorted the beggar.

The next day, I saw the old lady again saying the same spiel to the pedestrians. She was good because she managed to get people's  attention every time, but I think she gave up on her second week since she wasn't there anymore in the days that came, or, I guess, she was back in Laguna, hopefully for good.

Of course, there are many ways to see goodness in people on the streets. There is the student who would run after you to hand you the papers that fell from your folder, or the young man who would help an elderly cross the street. The streets may not after all be so dangerous. Investing in heaven may not be all the time done in the church; the streets,  the home, or the workplace can also be your venue to do good.

PS:
Tuloy sa Don Bosco Streetchildren Center may need your help by  becoming one of its 'Angels.' Please visit www.tuloyfoundation.org/angels-in-tuloy/ to know how. Thank you and God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to write whatever...